Board Meeting Minutes May 4, 2023

Board Meeting Minutes May 4, 2023


CSI – Phoenix Chapter Board 

Meeting Minutes 

1. Meeting brought to order –Jaime Garrido – called to order 11:11 

2. Introduction – Announcements: Jaime Garrido • CSI Phoenix Board and Committee Chairs retreat – Friday May 19th 8:00-2:30 – venue TBD 

• Updates from SW Region Conference – Organizational leadership presentation from Mike Young he may present in our board retreat. 

• Conference roll is to provide leadership training for our chapter leaders. We may schedule a leadership training day to present the conference. 

• Regional conference and National conference costs are reimbursed for the Chapter President and Vice President as stated in our by-laws. 

• Need to get more attendance for the regional conference to train our leaders. 

• CSI Phoenix won the Arcadia Cup for most attendees at the conference. 

• Jay Harris – Regional Conf. update– how to get National more involved with the chapters? Jay will communicate back on this. Changes in structure should be added to the agenda for us next year. The next region conference will be held in Tucson! Phoenix chapter will be involved in planning and include the golf tournament in that event. 

3. Approve board meeting minutes 4/6/23 First – Minnie Robles, Second-Brooke Montelongo Minutes approved.  

4. Board Member Positions /Attendance Quorum Confirmation (5 minutes) • President – Jaime Garrido P 

• Pres. Elect – Minnie Robles P 

• 1st VP – Brooke Montelongo P 

• 2nd VP – Mike Barker P 

• Secretary – Heather Unger P 

• Treasure – Teri Hand P 

• Past President – Jay Harris P 

• Director (2021-2023) – Jeff Nielsen A 

• Director (2021-2023) – Don Zanrosso A 

• Director (2022-2024) – Jaime Garrido P 

• Director (2022-2024) – Vacant 


Total of 6 are in attendance – quorum is present. 

5. Chapter Committee Chair • Education Committee – Barbara Faulwetter A 

• Technical Committee - Kelly Petridge (possible candidate) Request other candidates at May Chapter meeting 

• Programs Committee - Bobbi Jo Huskey A 

• Membership Committee - Mark Ramos A 

• Awards Committee – Jeff Nielsen A 

• Media/Communications – Tammy Stevens A 

• Publicity – Brooke Montelongo P 

• Events/Fundraising-Frank Thomas (Golf) A 

• Events/Let’s Build Girls Camp – Minnie Robles/Heather Unger P 


6. Committee Chairs – Confirmation (5 minutes) – Allow for each chair to provide a brief report on their activities, etc. 

• Programs – Bobbi Jo Huskey o May 11th Program - Varitec Solutions Presentation & Tour – Kathleen Rd Phoenix, AZ Greenway and I-17. 

o June 8th Project Spotlight/Member appreciation meeting - Maurita Harris PHX Architecture 


Omar Bailey-Shepley Bulfinch, Natalie Schuetz-RSP Architects - Location/Venue Papago Golf, Evening meeting. 

o July/August- Summer break/Strategic planning 

o September 14th meeting - Affordable Housing ART 

o October 12th Repurpose, Recycle, Reuse with George Wadding 

o November 9-Codes vs. Design with Ron Geren and Jones Studio 

o December 14th, Holiday Party 

• Membership – Mark Ramos - Coordinating with Bobbi Jo for meeting at Ryan companies for networking with CSI. New Members totals will be updated in chapter meeting next week. Need to check in with Ryan on his participation. 

• Mark sending welcoming letter to all new members. 

• Mark also sends registration form and enters the registration for the member on our website. 

• Jamie follows up with e-mail communication. 

• Professional Development & Certification/Education – Barbara Faulwetter – Jaime Garrido Update on CDT camp and other certification training. 

 o Exam cycle for fall of 23 ends mid Dec. Start tutorials in Mid-July by appointment. 

o Get with Tammy Stevens (Communications Chair) to advertise this. 

o Coordinating with Albuquerque chapter on CDT training. 

o CDT boot camp will move forward with this program again in the fall, even with one student commit and follow-through. One to one training is good approach for CDT training. 

o Chapter will provide the PDPG for CDT for purchase by students via our website for $140 as approved in April meeting. 

• Academic Programs/Student Advisor – Jaime Garrido/Heather Unger–CSI scholarship is listed on EVIT website. o Have CDT reimbursement/scholarships for that? Advertise this and apply the finances at the time. 

o Did we do TOSA scholarship? 1 last year. 



• Technical -–vacant 


• Awards – Jeff Nielsen/ Heather Unger – Jeff working on Distinguished member award for Ron Geren with CSI. Neil and Ron are on the board at ASU, would like to get an honorary doctorate for Ron Geren to discuss with Neil. Start dialogue with ASU and other colleges. Need to have a special event for Ron to receive this award with CSI chapter funding. Review OCC status with Heather. 


• Media/Communications – Tammy Stevens- absent. 



• Publicity – Brooke working on social media presence – added 9 followers in Instagram/Linked In. AIA support on their website for our chapter meeting. 109 followers now Members are increasing! Postings for chapter meetings and April tour on Instagram. Also coordinating with Bobbi Jo on all programs and events to be posted. 

• Check with Minnie on pics from SW Regional conference for posts on our media sites. 


7. Events/Fundraising – o Golf Tournament Fundraiser (5 minutes) Update – Jay/Frank – Great turnout, more participants this year 8-10 more golfers than last year! Next year may change the check-in and money collections. Need to streamline that process. All funds not going to scholarships, other chapter funding is generated here. Great job to the committee and all volunteers for another great event! Final tally for chapter income: $14,008! 



8. Treasury report - Teri Hand – Sent • Provided Current chapter current banking statement update on checking and savings amounts. Could be over 100k in total for our accounts by end of month. 

• CDT reimbursement - $500 per passing student i. Bobbi Jo moves to cover 8 people CDT ($500 each) with $4,000 in the budget for the Scholarships fund. Jaime seconds the motion. Need follow-up on details in the next (May) meeting. 


• Institute will no longer cover lunch money and how this affects the costs for our meetings. For those who don’t attend now per member, funds are not there to cover other chapter expenses. All attendees need to pay for lunches when they attend. Jaime will announce this in next meeting. 

• Open questions from April meeting: i. Is $20 (for members) enough to cover this? We are not covering those costs. $700-$800 for lunches per meeting 

ii. Need to track who signed up and who paid/Is everyone putting in their money for the lunches? 

iii. Who should pay and who should not (guests)? 

iv. Need to pay for levels of membership accordingly. Need to pay for your level applied for and do you qualify for that? What are the levels of payment for a lunch meeting? 

v. Minnie-Should we have a lunch sponsor? Should guests have to pay? If we are encouraging guests/members to attend, they should not pay. For a tabletop sponsor- agree with 15 minutes to present their product. Would help minimize the cost to the attendees, and not make it so cost prohibitive. 

vi. Brooke – Constant Contact lists the guest fee as $35.00, is that too much? 

vii. Jay - $400-$500 is steep for a lunch sponsor. We would need 20 attendees to break even every month. We had “Tabletop” sponsors for $200 that helped – 15 minutes to talk about product? 

viii. Jaime- We should bring a guest as a courtesy attendance to encourage attendance. Vendors would you sponsor the lunches? Let’s vote on this at the board retreat. 



9. Round Table Items- • Jaime - SW Region meeting – Phoenix chapter to possibly assist Tucson Chapter financially. Minnie to meet with Tucson chapter later this month. Only 3 members are in the Tucson Chapter. Robin will need help from us to run the SW Region event next year congruently with the Golf Tournament. Need board approval to assist the Tucson Chapter. We should support them internally. 

• Jaime - 2 Possible venues for board retreat – DLR Group Camelback, or Chase Building team office in Tempe, can check for parking. Minnie – ATAS meeting area, is always available to CSI. Minnie and Brooke vote DLR. We’ll have it there; they have better parking. 

• Send agenda items to Jaime- breakdown by committee, open for ideas! 


10. Closing (5 minutes) – Move to adjourn – First Jamie, and Second Jay Harris Meeting adjourned: 12:15 

CSI Southwest Region

CSI Insitute